Photo: "White Rabbit"

A hospital room, across from the Psychiatric Ward, at Alcatraz.

During the early 1900's, inmate labor fueled the construction of a new cellhouse, designed by Major Reuben Turner. The cell house contained 600 cells, a hospital, mess hall and other prison buildings. The complex was completed in 1912 and was the world's largest reinforced concrete building at the time.