Marine Hospital, Tennessee
In 1884, a Marine Hospital was established on the Mississippi River in Memphis, Tennessee. It was designed to treat boatmen for injuries due to explosions or wrecks. The original campus contained six buildings; the surgeon's house, stable, executive building, two wards and the nurse's quarters.
In the 1930's, a few Works Progress Administration buildings were added to the hospital campus, which required the wards and stables to be demolished to make way for a new hospital building. Only two original building's stand; the nurse's quarters, which moves three hundred feet from the original location in the 1930's, and the executive building, currently repurposed as a museum.
The new, three-story neo-classical brick building was completed in 1937 and constructed in the Georgian-style with a slate roof, copper cupola and limestone columns. Each wing of the building contained patient rooms and day rooms, but the rear center section contained a dental ward, operating room, sound proof chamber for hearing tests and nurse stations.
During the fifty years of operation, this hospital played a major role in finding a cure for yellow fever, while caring for member of the Coast Guard, active duty Armed Forces, Maritime Academy, and other government employees. The hospital closed in 1965, as the U.S. Public Health Service Hospital.