Photo: "Morgue Table"

This New York psychiatric hospital opened to the public in 1931 with 60 only male patients, though they had beds to support over 5,000. The hospital was designed as a "theraputic suburb," where patients could leave the noise and pollution of the city and seek treatments to cure their illness. By 1959, the hospital reached it peak and was home to 9,000 residents, including a staff of 2,000.