Milledgeville was the capital of Georgia when the Georgia Lunatic Asylum, later known as Central State Hospital, was opened in 1842. Overcrowding quickly became a problem and expansion projects began in the 1870's and continued well into the 1960's. The Walker Building, designed to house male convalescent patients, was constructed in 1884.
Central State Hospital, formerly known as the Georgia Lunatic Asylum, admitted its first patient in 1842, but it wasn't until almost 40 years later that the Walker Building was erected.
This building was constructed during a time when racial segregation was common in the south and because it was intended for white male convalescent patients, its design seemed less institutional than the buildings housing the "coloured" patients.