Tools remaining inside the Knight's Foundry in Sutter Creek, California.
The 16th Street Station in Oakland opened in 1912.
The building was designed by architect Jarvis Hunt and constructed for the Southern Pacific Railway.
The San Juan Mountains in Colorado are speckled with hundreds of mines. I wish I had the time to photograph and explore them all...
This was the last location we visited on our trip to the South. Finding medical equipment is always a nice treat, because many of the locations have been stripped of all furniture and artifacts.
Peering into a cell at the Essex County Jail, with an in tact sink and bed.
This particular cell was locked, which likely helped to ensure it stay relatively preserved. Many of the other cells in this facility were in worse shape as they have been used by the homeless for the last few decades.
The Laurelton State Village facility, the first of its kind, was designed to segregate and care for "feeble-minded" women between the ages of 16 and 45. These women were mentally ill and sent here to be looked after in the early 1920's when the facility was completed.
In 1938, over 700 women were residents and there was a waiting list another 600 women long. During their stay here, most women participated in some form of labor in the cannery, kitchen, laundry or in the fields. There were also recreational portions to the campus, as seen above.
In the late 1960's a radical change was made and males were admitted to the campus. Decades later, in 1998, the facility would shut its doors.
A skylight in this room, within the Administration section of Hudson River Psychiatric Hospital, let in just enough light to give this space a blue glow.
Building 253 at Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard was constructed between 1944 and 1947. It's 6 stories tall, contains a large gantry crane that was used to lift equipment into the top floor of the building.
Maintenance for periscopes and range finders for military ships was done in this building. It was also an electrical shop, used for Radiography Instrument Calibration as well as a gauge shop.
(From the archives, 2006)
Collapsed floors are a typical sight inside the former Hudson River Psychiatric Hospital as this hospital has sat vacant for many decades enduring the brutal winter and summer conditions in New York.
In July 2008 Greystone Park Psychiatric closed and the remaining patients and Administration Offices relocated to the new facility less than a mile away.
Since then, the state of New Jersey has been deliberating over the best course of action for the decaying hospital. In the last few years, a group known as Preserve Greystone formed and has been advocating for the preservation of the massive Kirkbride building, along with hundreds of historians, preservationists and nearby residents.
Sadly, the state has not even entertained contracts of up to $100 million to restore the facility, but instead have chosen to demolish the building using $50 million of taxpayer money. Sometime later this year, the building will be demolished and over one hundred years of history, stories and medicine will be nothing more than a memory.
The Greystone Psychiatric Hospital in New Jersey opened its doors to the first patients in 1877 and 342 patients were immediately submitted.
The main building at Greystone was built following the Kirkbride plan and contained two wings, one for each sex. The violent wards, shown here, are at the end of the second floor of the male wing.
The wings of the Hudson River Psychiatric Hospital in New York have decayed and collapsed beyond compare over the last few decades, due to weather and a lightning fire, since the asylum was abandoned, but the roof of the Administration Building was properly covered when vacated, which has left that section of the Kirkbride building in tact.
The collapse in the female wings of Hudson River State Hospital is extensive. When the hospital shut down, no efforts were made to cover the roof of the wings and the weather eventually began to take it's toll on this beautiful Kirkbride Building.
This image shows a storage closet on the second floor with a collapsed ceiling and floor, which allows us to see the identical storage closet on the first floor and possibly a patient or nurses room on the 3rd floor with a beautiful armoire.
The Polk Building, or K Building, at the Western State Hospital in Tennessee, formerly known as the West Tennessee Hospital for the Insane, was constructed in 1932 as a psychopathic facility with 400 beds for patients.
(Print - http://smu.gs/1iHWfHu )