The four women's wards at this New York Tuberculosis Sanatorium, designed by architect Raymond F Almirall, were constructed between 1909-1911. Buildings 1, 3 and 4 were the general ward pavillions for women. Building 2 was the private room ward. The four story buildings were constructed with Southern Facing Solariums and the narrow rectangular shape helped greatly with cross-ventilation.
Sun porch in the building 1 of the women's wards at this New York Tuberculosis Hospital.
In the 20th century, treatment for tuberculosis was based on ample light and fresh air. Sun porches were constructed in most tuberculosis hospitals as it was believed they would help ail those infected with the diseases.
The children's preventorium at New York Sanatorium in New York was built sometime after the original campus in 1913. The wards were constructed in such a way to allow for maximum light and air to reach the patients.
This New York Sanatorium complex opened in 1913. It was built on elevated land and the wards were dispersed into a fan-shaped arrangement with balconies and sun rooms providing light and air for the patients, two of the main treatments for tuberculosis.