Building 253 at Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard was constructed between 1944 and 1947. It's 6 stories tall, contains a large gantry crane that was used to lift equipment into the top floor of the building.
Maintenance for periscopes and range finders for military ships was done in this building. It was also an electrical shop, used for Radiography Instrument Calibration as well as a gauge shop.
(From the archives, 2006)