The Laurelton State Village facility, the first of its kind, was designed to segregate and care for "feeble-minded" women between the ages of 16 and 45. These women were mentally ill and sent here to be looked after in the early 1920's when the facility was completed.
In 1938, over 700 women were residents and there was a waiting list another 600 women long. During their stay here, most women participated in some form of labor in the cannery, kitchen, laundry or in the fields. There were also recreational portions to the campus, as seen above.
In the late 1960's a radical change was made and males were admitted to the campus. Decades later, in 1998, the facility would shut its doors.