Photo: "Eight and Nine"


The four women's wards at this New York Tuberculosis Sanatorium, designed by architect Raymond F Almirall, were constructed between 1909-1911. Buildings 1, 3 and 4 were the general ward pavillions for women. Building 2 was the private room ward. The four story buildings were constructed with Southern Facing Solariums and the narrow rectangular shape helped greatly with cross-ventilation. 

Photo: "Sun Porch"

Sun porch in the building 1 of the women's wards at this New York Tuberculosis Hospital.

In the 20th century, treatment for tuberculosis was based on ample light and fresh air. Sun porches were constructed in most tuberculosis hospitals as it was believed they would help ail those infected with the diseases. 

Photo: "Sea Air"

Construction of the New York Sanatorium began in 1913. It consisted of eight pavillions, four men and four women's, arranged around an Administration Buidling, a Children's Hospital (shown here), a Rehabilitation Center, power plant, laboratory and Nurse's Buildings.

It was here at this hospital that the first treatment for Tuberculosis was discovered.