The Alameda Naval Air Station closed in 1997 due to the Base Realignment Closure Act, but it was once one of the largest, most complete Naval Air Stations in the world. She was commissioned in 1940, a little over a year before the United States became involved in World War II. During the war, the air station was a fully operating base with patrol plane squadrons and an Overhaul and Operations Department.
During the 56 years of service, the base had a population of 45,000, employing thousands of workers specializing in approximately 250 different trades in over 300 buildings.
Today, some of the old hangars and buildings have been repurposed by a few businesses, but most of the former base sits abandoned.